Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: SaveDialog not being displayed


This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Jun 29, 2015 3:40 PM Last Post By: Paulo Mariano
Paulo Mariano

Posts: 29
Registered: 11/25/12
SaveDialog not being displayed  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jun 26, 2015 7:55 AM
Hello.

In an application developed with Delphi XE6 and deployed on Windows 7 computers, after a report is displayed on screen, the user has the option to print it to a file.
A button allows the user to select the directory where the file will be saved:

SaveDialog1: TSaveDialog;
.
.
.
procedure TppPrintDialog.btnPrintToFileClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
  if SaveDialog1.Execute then
    begin


In most of the Windows 7 computers where the application has been deployed, the report works correctly.
However, in some computers, nothing happens when SaveDialog1.Execute is, well, executed.

I have found a StackOverflow post (*http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2156013/savedialog-execute-not-doing-anyting-in-window-7*) with a reference to an Embarcadero post (*https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?messageID=196950&tstart=0#196950*) that states the following:
Problem there was resolved by deleting the executable name from "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

In my case, the problem has not been solved because the application is not even listed on the mentioned registry entry.

I would appreciate if some assistance could be provided.
Thank you in advance.
Peter Below

Posts: 1,227
Registered: 12/16/99
Re: SaveDialog not being displayed  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jun 26, 2015 8:59 AM   in response to: Paulo Mariano in response to: Paulo Mariano
Paulo Mariano wrote:

Hello.

In an application developed with Delphi XE6 and deployed on Windows 7
computers, after a report is displayed on screen, the user has the
option to print it to a file. A button allows the user to select the
directory where the file will be saved:

{code}
SaveDialog1: TSaveDialog;
.
.
.
procedure TppPrintDialog.btnPrintToFileClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
if SaveDialog1.Execute then

Try to change that to

if SaveDialog1.Execute(Handle) then

just in case the dialog comes up beneath the active window.

I don't have any further ideas, sorry. None of my applications has ever
misbehaved this way...

--
Peter Below (TeamB)

Paulo Mariano

Posts: 29
Registered: 11/25/12
Re: SaveDialog not being displayed  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jun 26, 2015 9:35 AM   in response to: Peter Below in response to: Peter Below
Peter Below wrote:
Paulo Mariano wrote:

Hello.

In an application developed with Delphi XE6 and deployed on Windows 7
computers, after a report is displayed on screen, the user has the
option to print it to a file. A button allows the user to select the
directory where the file will be saved:

{code}
SaveDialog1: TSaveDialog;
.
.
.
procedure TppPrintDialog.btnPrintToFileClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
if SaveDialog1.Execute then

Try to change that to

if SaveDialog1.Execute(Handle) then

just in case the dialog comes up beneath the active window.

I don't have any further ideas, sorry. None of my applications has ever
misbehaved this way...

--
Peter Below (TeamB)


Hello, Peter.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have failed to mention that the report was developed using ReportBuilder (https://www.digital-metaphors.com/).
I cannot try your suggestion because I don't have access to the code.
I just know it is like that because I have contacted ReportBuilder support.

The links listed in my original post (including one from Embarcadero) indicate that other developers have had the same problem.
I was wondering if you are able to access the Embarcadero post; if I try to access it, the following message is displayed: The specified message [196950] was not found.
In addition to the registry "solution", which does not work in my case, there might be other things to look at, as the StackOverflow post states: "After lots of unsuccessful attempts according to the voluminous exchanges in the Embarcadero group you mention".
Maybe one of those unsuccessful attempts could work for me.

Thank you again.
Peter Below

Posts: 1,227
Registered: 12/16/99
Re: SaveDialog not being displayed  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jun 27, 2015 12:17 AM   in response to: Paulo Mariano in response to: Paulo Mariano
Paulo Mariano wrote:

Hello, Peter.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have failed to mention that the report was developed using
ReportBuilder (https://www.digital-metaphors.com/). I cannot try
your suggestion because I don't have access to the code. I just know
it is like that because I have contacted ReportBuilder support.

The links listed in my original post (including one from Embarcadero)
indicate that other developers have had the same problem. I was
wondering if you are able to access the Embarcadero post; if I try to
access it, the following message is displayed: The specified message
[196950] was not found.

The forum server has the bad habit of crashing frequently, and in
several cases the message base was partially lost or the messages were
restored with different message IDs.

There is a fairly extensive archive of the newsgroups at
http://codenewsfast.com/, perhaps you can find more information there.


--
Peter Below (TeamB)

Paulo Mariano

Posts: 29
Registered: 11/25/12
Re: SaveDialog not being displayed  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jun 29, 2015 3:40 PM   in response to: Peter Below in response to: Peter Below
Peter Below wrote:
Paulo Mariano wrote:

Hello, Peter.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have failed to mention that the report was developed using
ReportBuilder (https://www.digital-metaphors.com/). I cannot try
your suggestion because I don't have access to the code. I just know
it is like that because I have contacted ReportBuilder support.

The links listed in my original post (including one from Embarcadero)
indicate that other developers have had the same problem. I was
wondering if you are able to access the Embarcadero post; if I try to
access it, the following message is displayed: The specified message
[196950] was not found.

The forum server has the bad habit of crashing frequently, and in
several cases the message base was partially lost or the messages were
restored with different message IDs.

There is a fairly extensive archive of the newsgroups at
http://codenewsfast.com/, perhaps you can find more information there.


--
Peter Below (TeamB)


Hello, Peter.

The problem was solved by setting the compatibility of the application to Windows XP. I am still bothered by the fact that the "bug" is not consistent though; some Windows 7 computers do not have the problem, while others do.

Thank you.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02