Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Components on form move easily when clicking on it

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Apr 10, 2015 6:47 AM Last Post By: William Egge
Nico Callewaert

Components on form move easily when clicking on it  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 25, 2015 3:44 AM
Hi,

I recently migrated from D7 to XE5 (purchased it about a year ago or something like that, but never had a chance to migrate yet, til now). Everything seems to work well, except that I experienced something annoying. When I place let's say an edit box on a form, and I don't snap it to the nearest grid position (set to X: 8, Y: 8 = default setting), it gives problems when I click on it afterwards. Example: I place the edit box on the form with Left := 10, Top := 10. If I click very careful on it and make sure the mouse is not moving a bit, it's fine. If I just click on it like I always did, sometimes it's ok, but other times the edit box will jump 2 pixels to the left and 2 pixels to the top. It's annoying, now I always have to watch well if my components are still on the same position after clicking. It's difficult to hold the mouse very steady during clicking. It seems D7 was less sensitive for that.

Did anybody else experience this or maybe I tremble too much because of aging, LOL :-)

Thanks a lot !
Regards...
Lajos Juhasz

Re: Components on form move easily when clicking on it  
  Posted: Mar 25, 2015 6:36 AM   in response to: Nico Callewaert in response to: Nico Callewaert
Nico Callewaert wrote:

Did anybody else experience this or maybe I tremble too much because
of aging, LOL :-)

I had experienced this. First I thought it was due to mouse driver. Try
Tools - Options - Form Designer and uncheck Snap to Grid. I have no
idea why is that option by default true!
Bo Berglund

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 7:20 AM   in response to: Lajos Juhasz in response to: Lajos Juhasz
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 06:36:44 -0700, Lajos Juhasz
<juhasz dot lajos at gmail dot com> wrote:

Nico Callewaert wrote:

Did anybody else experience this or maybe I tremble too much because
of aging, LOL :-)

I had experienced this. First I thought it was due to mouse driver. Try
Tools - Options - Form Designer and uncheck Snap to Grid. I have no
idea why is that option by default true!

Originally it was thought a help to get controls lined up properly on
the form.
But since the outline of controls does not necesssarily relate the
same way to their text content that type of alignment might not really
make any sense.
I have also noticed a marked difference between my old IDE's and XE5
in this respect....
Nico Callewaert

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 2:39 PM   in response to: Nico Callewaert in response to: Nico Callewaert
Thanks !
Indeed a different setting of the X/Y snap helped !

Thx
Tom Brunberg

Posted: Mar 28, 2015 4:04 PM   in response to: Nico Callewaert in response to: Nico Callewaert
Nico Callewaert wrote:

Hi,

I recently migrated from D7 to XE5 (purchased it about a year ago or something like that, but
never had a chance to migrate yet, til now). Everything seems to work well, except that I
experienced something annoying. When I place let's say an edit box on a form, and I don't snap it
to the nearest grid position (set to X: 8, Y: 8 = default setting), it gives problems when I
click on it afterwards. Example: I place the edit box on the form with Left := 10, Top := 10. If
I click very careful on it and make su re the mouse is not moving a bit, it's fine. If I just
click on it like I always did, sometimes it's ok, but other times the edit box will jump 2 pixels
to the left and 2 pixels to the top. It's annoying, now I always have to watch well if my
components are still on the same position after clicking. It's difficult to hold the mouse very
steady during clicking. It seems D7 was less sensitive for that.

Instead of totally disabling 'snap to grid' as has been suggested, you can press Alt-key for pixel
per pixel movement when needed. However, this works in VCL designer but not in FMX designer.

--
Tom Brunberg
firstname.lastname@welho.com

William Egge

Posted: Apr 10, 2015 6:47 AM   in response to: Nico Callewaert in response to: Nico Callewaert
I have the same problem, its annoying.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02