Thread: 'Undocking' form from code window XE6

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Last Post: Jan 1, 2015 3:59 AM Last Post By: chabant guy
Trevor Bradley

'Undocking' form from code window XE6  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: May 27, 2014 7:28 AM
Hi

I have recently started to use XE6 after a long time on D2007.

The layout I liked in D2007 was to have the the menus, toolbars etc and code windows on the left screen of 2 monitors and the form design on the right screen.

This, I find is a really efficient way to code.

I tried to emulate this in XE6, but cannot fathom it out. I have read in a couple of place via Google that this feature has been withdrawn (I cannot remember which XE version they said). Surely this cannot be true? This is such an easy way to code - double click a button and you get the code whilst still having access to the form. As far as I can see in XE6, you see the code but loose the form design. This just means extra mouse clicks all the time.

I also find having the form in restrained by another form really restrictive. It was so much easier just to be able to stretch the form to the size needed when required.

If what I want is still possible, can someone point me in the right direction as to how to get this layout I prefer in XE6?

Many thanks

Trevor
John Treder

Re: 'Undocking' form from code window XE6  
  Posted: May 27, 2014 9:34 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
Trevor Bradley wrote:

If what I want is still possible, can someone point me in the right direction as to how to get this layout I prefer in XE6?

Many thanks

Trevor

On the toolbar to the right of the menu, there's a combobox. Select "Classic Undocked". Then arrange it as you like, and look at the two small icons to the right of the combobox.

For some purposes, the undocked scheme doesn't work well. I find that rearranging the panels on the "Default Layout" and saving it as "My scheme" works better for me than the undocked layout.

You can also click View -> New Edit Window to get a copy of the currently selected tab, that isn't docked. I occasionally find that usefull.

--
Tredmill
Trevor Bradley

Posted: May 27, 2014 9:45 AM   in response to: John Treder in response to: John Treder
On the toolbar to the right of the menu, there's a combobox. Select "Classic Undocked". Then arrange it as you like, and look at the two small icons to the right of the combobox.

For some purposes, the undocked scheme doesn't work well. I find that rearranging the panels on the "Default Layout" and saving it as "My scheme" works better for me than the undocked layout.

You can also click View -> New Edit Window to get a copy of the currently selected tab, that isn't docked. I occasionally find that usefull.

Hi John

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried the option your metioned,but that isn't exactly what I want to do. That undocks everything so it is all floating around. I am quite happy for things to be locked and docked - in fact that is good esp with the code windows docked in the middle pane. But what I would really like most of all is for the form design to seperate from the code window and I have the all on the right hand monitor. The only way I can currently see to switch between the 2 is F12 or the tabs at the bottom. What I would really like is for the form and code to be visible at the same time. I find this just so much easier.

It is a shame I can't post a picture here or I could show you how I have it in D2007 which is perfect and very efficient for the kind of work I do.

If this doesn't explain it enough, I will upload a picture somewhere and provide a link.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Trevor
John Treder

Helpful
  Posted: May 27, 2014 9:49 PM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
Ok, I see what you want. Sadly, I don't know of any way to accomplish that. I finally got used to wearing out the F12 key.

--
nhoJ
Bruce McGee

Correct
  Posted: May 28, 2014 4:43 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
Some time after D2007, this stopped being an officially supported
feature.

You can still force it with a registry setting, but watch out for
inconsistent behaviour.

http://theroadtodelphi.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/disabling-the-embedded-designer-in-rad-studio-xe3/

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
Glooscap Software
Trevor Bradley

Posted: May 28, 2014 5:18 AM   in response to: Bruce McGee in response to: Bruce McGee
Bruce McGee wrote:
Some time after D2007, this stopped being an officially supported
feature.

You can still force it with a registry setting, but watch out for
inconsistent behaviour.

http://theroadtodelphi.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/disabling-the-embedded-designer-in-rad-studio-xe3/

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
Glooscap Software

Thanks Bruce

I don't do too much Firemonkey development at present, so the warning on the blog message shouldn't effect me. I will give this a go and see what happens. It will be nice to get this back to how I had it as, with 2 monitors, it is so much easier than keep pressing the F12 key all the time.

I don't really understand the reason why this would be removed - this was a great option.

Thanks again,

Trevor
Bruce McGee

Posted: May 28, 2014 5:46 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
Trevor Bradley wrote:

I don't do too much Firemonkey development at present, so the warning
on the blog message shouldn't effect me. I will give this a go and
see what happens. It will be nice to get this back to how I had it
as, with 2 monitors, it is so much easier than keep pressing the F12
key all the time.

I was thinking of other glitchy behaviour, lithe wrong groups showing
in the component palette from time to time.

I don't really understand the reason why this would be removed - this
was a great option.

I thought I read somewhere that it might make a comeback, but that
might have been someone's wishful thinking.

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
Glooscap Software
Robert Triest

Posted: May 28, 2014 7:51 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
I don't really understand the reason why this would be removed - this was a great option.
Please if you do understand, let me know..
Trevor Bradley

Posted: May 28, 2014 8:59 AM   in response to: Robert Triest in response to: Robert Triest
Robert Triest wrote:
Please if you do understand, let me know..

I can't see any reason at all myself. I would imagine most of us code with 2 monitors. I always kept everything including code on one monitor and all the forms on the other - so simple to switch between (and to design). To me this new way (to me anyway) is a waste of screen 'real estate' - and I can only see one form at a time, can't I (please tell me I am wrong!)? The old/good way you could have several forms all visible at the same time. On the new/bad way you can't do this. Frustrating to say the least.

Trevor
chabant guy

Posted: Jan 1, 2015 3:59 AM   in response to: Trevor Bradley in response to: Trevor Bradley
I go directly from Delphi5 to XE7 this month, and I lost many hours to have , as you , my good things.
I prefer "Classic Floating" desktop , Docking is not for me.
But big problem with Form-Window who is fixed :
I found a forum with the solution : registry key HKCU .... EMBEDDED DESIGNER = False !! this is good

Another problem with no solution : I want te Component-Palette vertically , as in Docking DeskTop : what is the HKCU key ?

THANKS
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02