Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Mobile Device and Intermittent WiFi connection

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Dec 23, 2014 11:51 AM Last Post By: Craig Cox
Craig Cox

Mobile Device and Intermittent WiFi connection  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 15, 2014 6:00 PM
I am using Delphi XE6 (or XE7) to develop a mobile application for an android tablet. The application will be connected to a Firebird database via wWiFi. I expect the connection to be intermittent. I will be using Firedac and the WaitCursor. Do I need to plan on incorporating an embedded version of Firebird, or will the WaitCursor maintain a number of transactions until they can be processed thrpugh the WiFi connection?
Dmitry Arefiev

Re: Mobile Device and Intermittent WiFi connection  
  Posted: Dec 16, 2014 8:09 AM   in response to: Craig Cox in response to: Craig Cox
Craig Cox wrote:
I am using Delphi XE6 (or XE7) to develop a mobile application for an android tablet. The application will be connected to a Firebird database via wWiFi. I expect the connection to be intermittent. I will be using Firedac and the WaitCursor. Do I need to plan on incorporating an embedded version of Firebird, or will the WaitCursor maintain a number of transactions until they can be processed thrpugh the WiFi connection?

1) At first WaitCursor is just a service which shows a "hour glass" coursor. Nothing more. It does not perform any buffering and data processing.
2) FireDAC does not support Firebird connection from a mobile device. But it support InterBase connection in any scale.
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE7/en/Databases_(FireDAC)
3) What you are looking for are two concepts:
- Cached Updates: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE7/en/Caching_Updates_(FireDAC)
- Offline Connection: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE7/en/Offlining_Connection_(FireDAC)
- Automatic Connection Recovery: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE7/en/Recovering_Connection_(FireDAC)

I will suggest to use InterBase client. Then to use cached updates to cache
updates performed by the client. When it is needed to bring a connection from
offline to online mode and post updates to a database. Then again bring
connection offline.

Really more convenient way to perform that is to use DataSnap.

--
With best regards,
Dmitry Arefiev / FireDAC Architect
quinn wildman

Posted: Dec 16, 2014 11:01 AM   in response to: Craig Cox in response to: Craig Cox
Of course Dmitry has given you a great answer here, but another way to
go would be to use DataSnap. Again you would cache data locally and
apply changes periodically. Using this scenario would allow you to use
FireBird as you backed storage.

Craig Cox wrote:
Craig Cox

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 11:05 AM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
quinn wildman wrote:
Of course Dmitry has given you a great answer here, but another way to
go would be to use DataSnap. Again you would cache data locally and
apply changes periodically. Using this scenario would allow you to use
FireBird as you backed storage.

Craig Cox wrote:

I eleive I need a two-direction flow of data. The application will need to get data from my Firebird database and then upload information back. The application will be used to document inspections of containers. The database server will supply the container information, and the user will verify using the application, which will be fed back to the database. Does DataSnap allow two-way traffic, would I need to have an embedded Firebird client (if one exists for android).

Thanks
quinn wildman

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 11:32 AM   in response to: Craig Cox in response to: Craig Cox
Craig Cox wrote:
Does DataSnap allow two-way traffic, would I need to have an embedded Firebird client (if one exists for android).

When you say two-way traffic, I assume you mean reads and writes. Yes,
can do this. Just like Cached Updates, you have a local cache, and fetch
or apply that cache as needed.
Craig Cox

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 11:51 AM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
quinn wildman wrote:
Craig Cox wrote:
Does DataSnap allow two-way traffic, would I need to have an embedded Firebird client (if one exists for android).

When you say two-way traffic, I assume you mean reads and writes. Yes,
can do this. Just like Cached Updates, you have a local cache, and fetch
or apply that cache as needed.

You are correct - read/write. Thanks, I'll explore DataSnap some more. Only seen it in action on David I's webinars. Haven't really tried to do anything with it. Thanks
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02