Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: The world of Delphi, RADStudio, XE7

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Oct 17, 2014 2:12 AM Last Post By: Ronald Klitsche
Martin Waller

The world of Delphi, RADStudio, XE7  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 16, 2014 7:35 AM
Hi,

I've recently been drawn into the Delphi world from the Microsoft / Java world. I'm used to using Visual Studio and Eclipse. I'm finding cross platform development using XE7 and FireMonkey particularly frustrating. Primarily the stability of XE7 - it crashes far too often. I expect to be able to switch my target device between the different platforms and be able to hit the run button without the fear of it crashing - but I can't. I was hoping that when seemingly harmless code runs fine on one platform it would run fine on others but I've been proved wrong there too.

Perhaps it's just a learning curve I have to climb before these irritations go away.

I just wondered what other people thought about the stability of XE7? Perhaps XE6 was better?

Martin
Eli M

Re: The world of Delphi, RADStudio, XE7  
  Posted: Oct 16, 2014 7:47 AM   in response to: Martin Waller in response to: Martin Waller
Are you running the IDE Fix Pack?

http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/ide-tools/ide-fix-pack/

I regularly compile an app for Win32, Android, and IOS without crashes. I don't switch between device views though just the device target (my master form compiles to all).

TGridPanelLayout does cause some IDE issues if you're using that component but I haven't run into any besides that.

Martin Waller

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 7:51 AM   in response to: Eli M in response to: Eli M
Hi, no I'm not I'm running with a version of XE7 that I downloaded yesterday 21.0.17017.3725

I'll try the fix pack!

Many thanks

Martin

Eli M wrote:
Are you running the IDE Fix Pack?

http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/ide-tools/ide-fix-pack/

I regularly compile an app for Win32, Android, and IOS without crashes. I don't switch between device views though just the device target (my master form compiles to all).

TGridPanelLayout does cause some IDE issues if you're using that component but I haven't run into any besides that.

Ronald Klitsche

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 2:12 AM   in response to: Martin Waller in response to: Martin Waller
Primarily the stability of XE7 - it crashes far too often.
just wondered what other people thought about the stability of XE7?
Perhaps XE6 was better?

Yes, same here.
XE7 is not useable for my big VCL application, I'm staying at XE6.

It's reported here: https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9568

Ronald
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02