Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Interactive Kiosk Development language / tools

Permlink Replies: 11 - Last Post: Sep 27, 2014 10:56 AM Last Post By: Luigi Sandon
David Timms

Interactive Kiosk Development language / tools
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 25, 2014 10:08 PM
Hi, I'm looking at doing development for a museum style exhibit with (possibly multi-touch) touch interface, smooth graphics (like zoom in/out), HD video playback on large display, database back-end etc.

It has been suggested to use flash/actionscript to provide the interactivity, but wondered if there is anything in the Delphi/Embarcadero lineup these days that could improve on Macromedia Director to provide a quick to program/develop system. Which tools in particular would you recommend ?

Thanks, David.

Edited by: David Timms on Sep 25, 2014 10:08 PM
Eli M

Re: Interactive Kiosk Development language / tools
  Posted: Sep 25, 2014 10:33 PM   in response to: David Timms in response to: David Timms
What platform? Windows?

I found this third party Delphi component for Multitouch on Windows which looks pretty good.

http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/multitouchsdk.asp

Yes Adobe Flash is pretty decent. But you can also embed Flash in your Delphi app where you can't really do the reverse. Use both?
David Timms

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 10:37 PM   in response to: Eli M in response to: Eli M
Eli M wrote:
What platform? Windows?
For development, windows or linux would be best.

Eli M wrote:
I found this third party Delphi component for Multitouch on Windows which looks pretty good.

http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/multitouchsdk.asp

Yes Adobe Flash is pretty decent. But you can also embed Flash in your Delphi app where you can't really do the reverse. Use both?
I'll take a look at that component.
Kristof Degros

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 11:31 PM   in response to: David Timms in response to: David Timms
David Timms wrote:
Hi, I'm looking at doing development for a museum style exhibit with (possibly multi-touch) touch interface, smooth graphics (like zoom in/out), HD video playback on large display, database back-end etc.

It has been suggested to use flash/actionscript to provide the interactivity, but wondered if there is anything in the Delphi/Embarcadero lineup these days that could improve on Macromedia Director to provide a quick to program/develop system. Which tools in particular would you recommend ?

Thanks, David.

If you do not have hardware already in mind, you can have look at a raspberrypi (www.raspberrypi.org).
And if you go that route, you could use Python with QT
Graeme Geldenhuys

Posted: Sep 26, 2014 10:39 AM   in response to: Kristof Degros in response to: Kristof Degros
On 2014-09-26 07:31, Kristof Degros wrote:
If you do not have hardware already in mind, you can have look at a raspberrypi (www.raspberrypi.org).
And if you go that route, you could use Python with QT

Or Free Pascal and still stay with the Object Pascal language. :-)

You can even run the Free Pascal compiler and something like Lazarus IDE
or Maximus IDE directly on the RaspberryPi to make development easier
(compared to cross-compiling setup and debugging etc)

Regards,
- Graeme -

Paul Thornton

Posted: Sep 26, 2014 12:04 AM   in response to: David Timms in response to: David Timms
Hi David,

We use a FireMonkey UI for our public bike share kiosk and have been blown away by the functionality. Currently we run it on a small PC (http://www.advantech.com/products/92D96FDA-CDD3-409D-AAE5-2E516C0F1B01/MIO-2261/mod_A06B85AA-8734-42C1-8FF7-A3854BF1EADF.aspx) running Windows 7. However, we are investigating running Android on a Beagle Board (http://beagleboard.org/bone).

I'm happy to share more info if you want to contact me directly.

Cheers,
Paul

David Timms wrote:

Thanks, David.

Edited by: David Timms on Sep 25, 2014 10:08 PM
Kyle Miller

Posted: Sep 26, 2014 1:43 PM   in response to: Paul Thornton in response to: Paul Thornton
On 09/26/2014 02:04 AM, Paul Thornton wrote:
Hi David,

We use a FireMonkey UI for our public bike share kiosk and have been blown away by the functionality. Currently we run it on a small PC (http://www.advantech.com/products/92D96FDA-CDD3-409D-AAE5-2E516C0F1B01/MIO-2261/mod_A06B85AA-8734-42C1-8FF7-A3854BF1EADF.aspx) running Windows 7. However, we are investigating running Android on a Beagle Board (http://beagleboard.org/bone).

I'm happy to share more info if you want to contact me directly.

Delphi and biking...
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/dc/dcceadd918f3df44c35aa122b769dbc9e8590cfaa591c1ad2abbe21fa8b7b958.jpg
Luigi Sandon

Posted: Sep 26, 2014 12:52 AM   in response to: David Timms in response to: David Timms
It has been suggested to use flash/actionscript to provide the interactivity,

IIMHO Windows 8.x and the Modern UI are great for delivering this kind of applications, but unluckily you can't do that in Delphi - just an imitation of it, but this way you lose many automatic function for touch interaction available in WinRT.

Those applications are also "sandboxed", which is not bad from a security perspective for publicy accessible machines.
Graeme Geldenhuys

Posted: Sep 26, 2014 10:44 AM   in response to: Luigi Sandon in response to: Luigi Sandon
On 2014-09-26 08:52, Luigi Sandon wrote:
IIMHO Windows 8.x and the Modern UI are great for delivering this kind of applications

And are you okay with all those Blue Screen of Death's we see so often
on those Windows-based kiosk monitors? How does Windows crash so badly
when there is only ONE application running on a PC. Sorry, but I'll
stick to Linux or FreeBSD for kiosks any day!

Regards,
- Graeme -
Luigi Sandon

Posted: Sep 27, 2014 10:56 AM   in response to: Graeme Geldenhuys in response to: Graeme Geldenhuys
on those Windows-based kiosk monitors? How does Windows crash so badly
when there is only ONE application running on a PC. Sorry, but I'll

Probably because those writing software for them and installing the machine have no clue about proper programming and setup. Also BSOD needs to trigger something bad at the kernel level, and usually it means a bad driver or something alike.

Anyway you'd be surprised about how many ATMs and other "critical" machine run on XP Embedded (which got extended support exactly because of that) o 7 Embedded.

Using the Embedded version is a way to actually deploy a vastly sounder kiosk application, because you can control what modules are installed and which not, and get rid of any unnecessary one.

Of course if you hire a Delphi developer you have a good chance he doesn't know nothing about that, and will sell you a badly written application running on vanilla Windows probably with Administrator privileges - and let it open to nay hacking attempts.

I have a colleague that always like to try to hacks kiosks for fun - and I assure you he can be successful whatever the OS is - it all depends on software and deploy quality - not the OS.

Keep on patching your Bash shells...
David Millington

Posted: Sep 26, 2014 3:01 AM   in response to: David Timms in response to: David Timms
David Timms wrote:

The immediate answer is FireMonkey - it has zooming, animations, amazing graphics, etc. I don't know about multi-touch, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

David
Kyle Miller

Posted: Sep 26, 2014 1:41 PM   in response to: David Millington in response to: David Millington
On 09/26/2014 05:01 AM, David M wrote:
The immediate answer is FireMonkey - it has zooming, animations, amazing graphics, etc. I don't know about multi-touch, I'm afraid.

Multi-touch and FMX? Got you covered.
http://www.fmxexpress.com/?s=multi-touch&submit=Search
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02