Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: How and where are BDE - settings stored


This question is answered.


Permlink Replies: 10 - Last Post: Sep 29, 2014 9:47 AM Last Post By: quinn wildman
Rene Laursen

Posts: 15
Registered: 3/22/10
How and where are BDE - settings stored  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2014 5:48 AM
Where does bdeadmin actually store bde-settings, and where does bde-applications in fact read them ?
1) Is it true that idapi.cfg only is used for 16 bit - and otherwise the settings are stored in registry ?
2) We have experienced that when we change some settings as administrator we can see an effect on our bde-application, but we can't see the changed values in neither idapi.cfg nor registry.
3) Are the bds-settings individual pr. user. ?
Robert Triest

Posts: 687
Registered: 3/24/05
Re: How and where are BDE - settings stored  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2014 6:12 AM   in response to: Rene Laursen in response to: Rene Laursen
The BDE admin of the latest Delphi releases (but BDE is removed from XE7 standard installation..)
is tight to the ODBC DataSources of Windows. (Windows-Configuration-Administrator-ODBC settings)
You don't have to open the BDE Admin anymore and you just use the ODBC System-DSN
tab to add/config the aliases. Maybe you have to see where the ODBC settings are stored in Windows.
Rene Laursen

Posts: 15
Registered: 3/22/10
Re: How and where are BDE - settings stored  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2014 6:19 AM   in response to: Robert Triest in response to: Robert Triest
We are using Delphi 2010 - BDE 5.202 - So how does this apply ?

Robert Triest wrote:
The BDE admin of the latest Delphi releases (but BDE is removed from XE7 standard installation..)
is tight to the ODBC DataSources of Windows. (Windows-Configuration-Administrator-ODBC settings)
You don't have to open the BDE Admin anymore and you just use the ODBC System-DSN
tab to add/config the aliases. Maybe you have to see where the ODBC settings are stored in Windows.
Robert Triest

Posts: 687
Registered: 3/24/05
Re: How and where are BDE - settings stored  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2014 6:25 AM   in response to: Rene Laursen in response to: Rene Laursen
As far as I know It will apply to 2010 too.
Just add a new System DSN alias in the ODBC settings of Windows
and without opening the BDE you add a database component like TQuery on a form
(maybe you have to restart Delphi to see the alias?) And see if you see
the alias in the "database" component property.
I didn't open the BDE admin for many years but I think if you open
it you will also see the alias that you just added. e.g. it will take
the aliases over from the ODBC admin of Windows. (and visa versa..)
Rene Laursen

Posts: 15
Registered: 3/22/10
Re: How and where are BDE - settings stored  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2014 6:35 AM   in response to: Robert Triest in response to: Robert Triest
Robert Triest wrote:
As far as I know It will apply to 2010 too.
Just add a new System DSN alias in the ODBC settings of Windows
and without opening the BDE you add a database component like TQuery on a form
(maybe you have to restart Delphi to see the alias?) And see if you see
the alias in the "database" component property.
I didn't open the BDE admin for many years but I think if you open
it you will also see the alias that you just added. e.g. it will take
the aliases over from the ODBC admin of Windows. (and visa versa..)
Ok - What abot the general settings that is not attached to an alias.
System - INIT
Langdriver, Local share, MaxFilehandles, MTS pooling aso.
?
Robert Triest

Posts: 687
Registered: 3/24/05
Re: How and where are BDE - settings stored  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2014 7:24 AM   in response to: Rene Laursen in response to: Rene Laursen
Ok - What abot the general settings that is not attached to an alias.
System - INIT
Langdriver, Local share, MaxFilehandles, MTS pooling aso.
I think they are not used by the SQL servers like the ones added in the ODBC
but for the BDE native drivers for flatfile databases like DBase, Paradox.
Rene Laursen

Posts: 15
Registered: 3/22/10
Re: How and where are BDE - settings stored  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2014 7:42 AM   in response to: Robert Triest in response to: Robert Triest
Robert Triest wrote:
Ok - What abot the general settings that is not attached to an alias.
System - INIT
Langdriver, Local share, MaxFilehandles, MTS pooling aso.
I think they are not used by the SQL servers like the ones added in the ODBC
but for the BDE native drivers for flatfile databases like DBase, Paradox.
Oh yes of course. The problem is we ARE (unfortunately) using Paradox . Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with BDEadmin :-)
Robert Triest

Posts: 687
Registered: 3/24/05
Re: How and where are BDE - settings stored  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2014 7:49 AM   in response to: Rene Laursen in response to: Rene Laursen
OK, but what is your basic problem? What are you trying to solve?
Robert Triest

Posts: 687
Registered: 3/24/05
Re: How and where are BDE - settings stored  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2014 8:12 AM   in response to: Rene Laursen in response to: Rene Laursen
I just took a look to the IDAPI32.CFG file in C:\Program Files\Borland\Common Files\BDE
and most of the settings are in this file..
Leslie Milburn

Posts: 12
Registered: 10/29/00
Re: How and where are BDE - settings stored
Correct
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 23, 2014 11:52 PM   in response to: Robert Triest in response to: Robert Triest
<Robert Triest> wrote in message news:692769 at forums dot embarcadero dot com...
I just took a look to the IDAPI32.CFG file in C:\Program
Files\Borland\Common Files\BDE
and most of the settings are in this file..

Hi Robert,

In this Windows UAC world, you should now set the WIN3.1 option in the BDE
Admin which forces the BDE to store all settings in the default cfg file and
not the registry. This cfg file should be placed in a folder which has
read/write permission for the current user/all users.

Accessing the BDE settings (eg. Langdriver, Local share, MaxFilehandles)
should ONLY be done via the BDE API (or delphi or OPAL API equivalents which
in turn use the BDE API).

NEVER read the BDE settings directly from the registry as whatever values
are there cannot be relied upon to be 100% up-to-date once WIN3.1 option is
set (the BDE may or may not update them).

By doing the above you do not need to worry about Registry permissions once
the BDE has been installed and therefore you do not need an elevated account
to change the BDE settings.

Lastly, if you are going to set ODBC settings programmatically again you
should avoid read/writing directly from/to the registry - there is an ODBC
API you can call which is compatible across versions of Windows.

This is all common sense stuff which, dare I say, "modern day developers"
blindly ignore and simply plough directly into the registry - not smart at
all.

Leslie.

quinn wildman

Posts: 856
Registered: 12/2/99
Re: How and where are BDE - settings stored  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 29, 2014 9:47 AM   in response to: Rene Laursen in response to: Rene Laursen
Note that we have a forum dedicated to BDE. Questions like this would be
best asked there.

Rene Laursen wrote:
Where does bdeadmin actually store bde-settings, and where does bde-applications in fact read them ?
1) Is it true that idapi.cfg only is used for 16 bit - and otherwise the settings are stored in registry ?
2) We have experienced that when we change some settings as administrator we can see an effect on our bde-application, but we can't see the changed values in neither idapi.cfg nor registry.
3) Are the bds-settings individual pr. user. ?
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02