Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: FireDac c/s addon license concern

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Jul 4, 2014 11:26 AM Last Post By: Jeff Overcash (...
Waldemar Misiur...

FireDac c/s addon license concern
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jul 3, 2014 4:16 PM
Hello there,
Recently i purchased c++ Builder pro with FireDac c/s addon pack,
I mainly develop network maintenace apps, with connection to remote Mysql/PgSql servers.
I am trying to avoid any Legal issues, therefore as i read license EULA files from my C++ folder, i read someting strange (Xe6 radstudio_license_en.rtf):

"
ADDITIONAL LICENSE TERMS APPLICABLE TO RAD STUDIO, DELPHI AND C++BUILDER, PROFESSIONAL, PROFESSIONAL WITH MOBILE AND PROFESSIONAL ACADEMIC EDITIONS

In the event Licensee has obtained a RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder Professional, Professional with Mobile or Professional Academic product license then the following terms apply.

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Licensor grants to Licensee as the licensed user of the Product the limited right to use those portions of the Product identified as "dbExpress" and “FireDAC”, in executable form only, to access a local database installed on the same machine as the Work. Licensee may not use that portion of the Product identified as "dbExpress" or “FireDAC” in association with a database located on a different machine other than the machine on which the Works are installed."
"
Well it clearly states, that i CANNOT use FireDac to connect to remote database, nothing about Addon Pack.
Seems to me , that despite i purchase c/s addon pack (Eur 519! ) I am still not allowed to connect to remote DB IF i use CPP BUilder Pro.
I tried hard to find "additional" FireDac license but without success.
Feature site says that i can, but well.. that could change tomorrow...
Could anybody clear this one to me ?
Where could i read that i COULD use FireDac with remote DB despite what license agreement says ?
Or.. I am just screwed ???

Best regards
W.M

Edited by: Waldemar Misiurski on Jul 3, 2014 4:17 PM
Jeff Overcash (...

Re: FireDac c/s addon license concern [Edit]
  Posted: Jul 3, 2014 7:37 PM   in response to: Waldemar Misiur... in response to: Waldemar Misiur...
Waldemar Misiurski wrote:
Hello there,
Recently i purchased c++ Builder pro with FireDac c/s addon pack,
I mainly develop network maintenace apps, with connection to remote Mysql/PgSql servers.
I am trying to avoid any Legal issues, therefore as i read license EULA files from my C++ folder, i read someting strange (Xe6 radstudio_license_en.rtf):

"
ADDITIONAL LICENSE TERMS APPLICABLE TO RAD STUDIO, DELPHI AND C++BUILDER, PROFESSIONAL, PROFESSIONAL WITH MOBILE AND PROFESSIONAL ACADEMIC EDITIONS

In the event Licensee has obtained a RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder Professional, Professional with Mobile or Professional Academic product license then the following terms apply.

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Licensor grants to Licensee as the licensed user of the Product the limited right to use those portions of the Product identified as "dbExpress" and “FireDAC”, in executable form only, to access a local database installed on the same machine as the Work. Licensee may not use that portion of the Product identified as "dbExpress" or “FireDAC” in association with a database located on a different machine other than the machine on which the Works are ins
talled."
"
Well it clearly states, that i CANNOT use FireDac to connect to remote database, nothing about Addon Pack.
Seems to me , that despite i purchase c/s addon pack (Eur 519! ) I am still not allowed to connect to remote DB IF i use CPP BUilder Pro.
I tried hard to find "additional" FireDac license but without success.
Feature site says that i can, but well.. that could change tomorrow...
Could anybody clear this one to me ?
Where could i read that i COULD use FireDac with remote DB despite what license agreement says ?
Or.. I am just screwed ???

Best regards
W.M

Edited by: Waldemar Misiurski on Jul 3, 2014 4:17 PM

Yes the C/S add-on pack allows you legally connect to remote machines.

https://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/firedac

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor
I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die.
Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless
faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted corridors of Whitehall.
(Fish)
Uwe Raabe

Posted: Jul 4, 2014 5:20 AM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...
Am 04.07.2014 04:37, schrieb Jeff Overcash (TeamB):

Actually, that is the whole purpose of that thing.

--
Uwe Raabe
Embarcadero MVP
Certified Delphi Master Developer
Uwe's Blog: The Art of Delphi Programming <http://www.uweraabe.de/>

Waldemar Misiur...

Posted: Jul 4, 2014 11:12 AM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)

Thank You for claryfying this to me, I've read FD features site before, but the site says one, and licence agreement the other.
Well i'll sleep safe now but still suggest that You relevant correction into EULA.

Best Regards
Jeff Overcash (...

Posted: Jul 4, 2014 11:26 AM   in response to: Waldemar Misiur... in response to: Waldemar Misiur...
Waldemar Misiurski wrote:

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)

Thank You for claryfying this to me, I've read FD features site before, but the site says one, and licence agreement the other.

You are reading the RAD studio license. Not the FireDAC Addon license. I can't
find a copy of it online, but the whole purpose of that add-on pack is to allow
Client Server access to enterprise databases at the Pro level. The feature
matrix and online shop both indicate it is for this purpose.

Well i'll sleep safe now but still suggest that You relevant correction into EULA.

I am not an Embarcadero employee so not something I can do. I suggest you email
Marco Cantu and suggest this.

Best Regards

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor
I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die.
Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless
faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted corridors of Whitehall.
(Fish)

Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02