Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: How can I make the debugger step into my dll source code

Permlink Replies: 2 - Last Post: Jul 6, 2014 5:05 AM Last Post By: Larry Johnson
Larry Johnson

How can I make the debugger step into my dll source code
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jun 22, 2014 12:15 PM
I am using CB XE4 with the VCL 32/64 windows platform. I have a .exe and a .dll both created in XE4. I am trying to set up my IDE so I can step into the dll source code to debug a function that has a bug. At the current time my debugger steps over the dll function call and does not step into the dll source code. I believe this is possible but my setup is not correct. Is there a tutorial showing how to setup my .exe and .dll projects so the debugger will step into my dll source code.

Thanks
Colin Maharaj

Re: How can I make the debugger step into my dll source code
  Posted: Jun 29, 2014 9:11 AM   in response to: Larry Johnson in response to: Larry Johnson
Write a stub, i.e. an application that will use the DLL.
then.....
Go back to the DLL project and in the application to run
put in the stub you created.

Run->Parameters->Host application to be more specific.
Click run on the DLL project and the app will run,
add breakpoints in the DLL code and it will break
once the app calls those 'places'

cheers

On 22/06/2014 03:15 PM, Larry Johnson wrote:

I am using CB XE4 with the VCL 32/64 windows platform. I have a .exe and a .dll both created in XE4. I am trying to set up my IDE so I can step into the dll source code to debug a function that has a bug. At the current time my debugger steps over the dll function call and does not step into the dll source code. I believe this is possible but my setup is not correct. Is there a tutorial showing how to setup my .exe and .dll projects so the debugger will step into my dll source code.

Thanks
Larry Johnson

Re: How can I make the debugger step into my dll source code
  Posted: Jul 6, 2014 5:05 AM   in response to: Colin Maharaj in response to: Colin Maharaj
To Colin,

What you describe is exactly like what I need. Is there an Embarcadero document describing this or did you figure this technique out on your own?

Thanks
Larry
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02