Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Installation of Delphi 7 onto Windows 7 64 bit platform.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Last Post: Jun 17, 2014 12:18 PM Last Post By: Wassim Muna
John Shyer

Installation of Delphi 7 onto Windows 7 64 bit platform.
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 24, 2013 4:05 PM
Hello,

I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ". How do I get around this error, or is it even possible?

Thank you very much in advance. John Shyer
Marius .

Re: Installation of Delphi 7 onto Windows 7 64 bit platform.
  Posted: Nov 24, 2013 4:15 PM   in response to: John Shyer in response to: John Shyer
John Shyer wrote:

Hello,

I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep
getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files
(x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to 'C:\Program Files
(x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ". How do I get around this
error, or is it even possible?

Yes, you can install into another directory (c:\delphi) or just adjust
the security of the Delphi7 folder so it has additional rights.
John Shyer

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 8:58 PM   in response to: John Shyer in response to: John Shyer
Neither of these suggestions worked. I am the only user on this computer and am the administrator, yet Windows or Delphi would not allow me to change the "read-only" property of bin to Not read only. Do you have any other suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated. John Shyer

John Shyer wrote:
Hello,

I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ". How do I get around this error, or is it even possible?

John Shyer

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 9:00 PM   in response to: John Shyer in response to: John Shyer
And please do not suggest installing it on the Windows 7 "virtual machine" I hate the magilla of going to the virtual environment and then trying to get things out of it. I am not impressed by it. John

John Shyer wrote:
Hello,

Dave Nottage

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 9:12 PM   in response to: John Shyer in response to: John Shyer
John Shyer wrote:

I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep
getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files
(x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to 'C:\Program Files
(x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ". How do I get around this
error, or is it even possible?

Does this link help?

http://www.ic0de.org/archive/index.php/t-11566.html

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Find tips and code samples at Delphi Worlds:
http://delphi.radsoft.com.au/blog

John Shyer

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 10:52 PM   in response to: John Shyer in response to: John Shyer
Thank you Dave,

I will try this in the morning. John

John Shyer wrote:
Hello,

John Shyer

Posted: Nov 28, 2013 3:40 AM   in response to: John Shyer in response to: John Shyer
Unfortunately the instructions in the paper at the URL you referenced do not relate in any manner to what I am finding. First, the C:\Programs\Delphi7 directory is empty; there are not any files there at all. Second when I located several Delphi32.$$$ files in the C:\Program Files (X86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin directory, all of the files were not Read Only Marked. I have been unable to locate any other Delphi7 files of the type Delphi32.$$$. Do you have any other suggestions?? Thank you for your time and courtesy in answering my posting. John Shyer

John Shyer wrote:
Hello,

Roy Lambert

Posted: Nov 28, 2013 4:17 AM   in response to: John Shyer in response to: John Shyer
John

I've just moved to W7 64 bit and installed D2006 and D6. Initially I went with a standard install. That put files in Program Files (x86) and gave me a few problems. I uninstalled and installed to their own directories off the root (C:\D2006 and C:\Delphi) and that's worked fine. Since it was 5 years ago that I last did an install I'd forgotten a few things like edit the system path to point at my homebrew dlls but apart from that it all worked.

I understand your dislike of VMs at least for a live environment. I only have a couple of apps still needing D6 so decided to plop it into a VirtualBox VM. Result - three days of hell. Still can't get the VM to recognise a USB stick and it sometimes, at its own whim, does recognise my LAN.

Roy Lambert

John Shyer

Posted: Nov 29, 2013 8:51 PM   in response to: John Shyer in response to: John Shyer
Roy and Marius,

Thank you so much. It WORKED!!!! I changed the installation directories to C:\Delphi7 and C:\Delphi7Shared. It installed and the Delphi 7 IDE came up without any problem. Also, the help function seems to work just fine too. I thank both of you very, very much. John Shyer

John Shyer wrote:
Hello,

Wassim Muna

Posted: Jun 17, 2014 12:18 PM   in response to: John Shyer in response to: John Shyer
I encountered the same issue on Windows 8 64bit. While the error message was still visible I checked Task Manager to see what processes were running. By right-clicking on the Delphi item in the "Processes" tab (what used to be called the "Applications" tab in earlier versions of Windows) and clicking on "Go to details" (what I think used to be called "Go to process" in earlier versions of Windows) it led my straight to the process responsible (delphi32.exe). I opened the Delphi7\Bin folder in Windows Explorer, selected delphi32.exe, right-click then "Run as administrator" and the error message didn't appear (ie. Delphi 7 opened normally). I then exited Delphi 7, and tried to run Delphi 7 with an ordinary double-click on delphi32.exe. It worked fine too. I don't know how often this delphi32.$$$ has to be renamed, perhaps only once, perhaps every now and then, but now I know how to get around it if it happens again. In the meantime, the ordinary double-click or Start [menu in earlier versions of Windows] shortcut are now working fine.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02